Wednesday, May 28, 2014

You bet I want birthday cake!

Mom and I in our tie-dye
at my Bday BBQ
So, Monday was my birthday.  A couple weeks ago, My Mom was asking Hubby what I wanted in terms of dessert.  I, of course, wanted dessert didn't I?  Oh, you betcha!!! Thankfully, I spoke up in advance and told Hubby that if there was to be dessert, I wanted something special.  So, he sent Mom my Direction.

If left her to her own creative devices, my Mom was going to get a sheet cake with tie-dye frosting.  While I do love my tie-dye (if you know me, you know I'm kind of a tie-dye addict) and this is an AWESOME idea, but a sheet cake is not the best choice for me.  First of all, there are way too many leftovers.  Second of all, the pieces get cut in all sorts of "way too big" sizes.

I've always enjoyed German Chocolate Cake on my birthday too.  Mmmm....gotta have me some of that.  However, German Chocolate cake can be even more dangerous than a sheet cake.  It's hard to stop eating the stuff!!  It also comes in a triple layered form, most of the time.  2 layers of icing?  Eeeks!  That's not the best idea.

So, as I was thinking about how I could have my cake and eat it too, I came up with an idea.  Cake pops!  I've seen a lot of specialty cake/cupcake stores starting to offer cake pops.  It's just a ball of cake on top of a stick.  I could have one of those!!!  Possibly even two, depending on how big they are and how much icing is on them.  Not to mention, you can order just enough for the group of people coming to the party...minimal leftovers.  Oh, yeah.  That was it!  I had to have German Chocolate cake pops!  So, I specifically asked my Mom to get them.

Luckily, my Mom works with just such a person who makes specialty cake items.  So, yay!  I got my cake pops.  They were rich, chocolaty, coconut goodness.  These cake pops were about 1.5-2 inches in diameter, so 1 was more than enough.  They were so sweet and good that I really didn't want any more than that either.  I did hold one back for later too.  Just ate it for a snack this afternoon.  Soooooo yummy!

What have I learned from this?

  1. ASK for what I want in terms of food.  If you tell people you have a specific request (especially when it's a special celebration for you), they are very willing to honor it.
  2. Use my creativity to find a solution that everyone will enjoy.  Everyone at the BBQ thought the pops were such a cool thing.  They didn't even think about portion size.  They had no idea that it was a  "Diabetic friendly" way to have dessert until I said something.
  3. There is always enough tie-dye when I'm around...no need to have it on the cake too.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment