Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I eat crunchy munchies!

I absolutely love crunchy chips, crunchy cheesy snacks etc...  You know.  All those "processed" foods us diabetics aren't supposed to eat.  Yes, for some diabetics that might be true.  Thankfully, I get to keep them on the menu.

Before diabetes, I would get a big bag of crunchy munchies from the pantry.  I would mindlessly crunch and at some point I'd think; "I should probably stop now."  Did I stop?  Of course not!

When I shifted the way I eat, I stopped buying big bags of crunchy munchies.  It's rare that we have a big bag in the house.  When we do, it's for a game day, BBQ or something with guests.  The bag doesn't get opened until guests arrive and usually there's nothing left, but every now and then there are leftovers. Sometimes we'll just throw them out.  Usually, we buy something that's not one of my favorites, so I'm not tempted to eat the whole bag.

I may not buy big bags often, but I do buy crunchy munchies every week.  Have you ever seem the little $0.50 lunch box sized bags?  Look at the back.  Most are between 12 and 17 grams of carbs.  A perfect carb serving size!  

After a few months of buying these, I noticed that there's something about finishing the bag for me.  There's just something so satisfying about licking my finger, sticking it in the bag and picking up all the crumbs I can get.  There's something satisfying about tapping the last few crumbs into my mouth by holding the bag up to my lips.  Pure crunchy/salty bliss!

I never needed to eat tons of crunchy munchies, I just needed to empty the bag!!!  I empty my little lunch box bags and I'm perfectly happy to move on to some veggies or protein for my next snack.  

What's your trick for keeping the crunchy munchy carbs at a reasonable count?

2 comments:

  1. I buy Beanitos chips. They're made with black beans are taste really, really good with guacamole. They're low on the glycemic index, non GMO, certified organic and actually make a nutritional contribution to your diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, Mary. Those sound tasty!! I have a new respect for black beans now. I'll have to see if I can find some. Of course, until my numbers say my body can't handle it...I'll keep my cheesy crunchies too. :). Thanks for the tip! And for being my first blog commenter. :)

      Delete