Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Diabetic Friendly Sloppy Joe's

Hubby and I are big fans of Sloppy Joe Sandwiches.  I used to get the kind with brown sugar in it.  I don't even know if they sell it in the stores anymore, but it was tasty.  Nowadays, brown sugar is something I have to watch.  Too much and my glucose goes up.

My stomach can't hack peppers and onions much either.  Unless I want to be up all night with a stomach ache, I kinda can't eat those store bought cans of Sloppy Joe sauce anyway.  So, I started looking around for alternatives.  Through a combination of a few places online, I compiled a recipe that Hubby and I both enjoy.  Yes, this one gets the Hubby star of approval.  Woo hoo!

While this recipe isn't nearly as sweet as the old brown sugar style, it does have some very tasty spices.  Of course, I don't like a ton of spices, so you may want to up them for yourself to add flavor.

I leave out a few things others typically use. 
To keep the recipe low carb, there's no ketchup, tomato paste or brown sugar.  I use just a tiny bit of regular sugar to add some sweetness.  The sugar can be left out and it's still really tasty!  During weeks when my sugar is higher than I like, I'll leave out the sugar.

How it's served matters.
Most people eat Sloppy Joe's on a big 30-45g carb bun.  To keep it extra low carb, I serve mine open face on a slider bun, piled with meat.  Yummy!

Variations you may want to try.
The veggie approach - In some of the recipes I pulled from, they include bell peppers and celery.  To lower carb count and bring up the veggie factor, add these in when you add the onion.

Worcestershire - 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire adds a different twist on this recipe.  Hubby's not a fan, so when I'm cooking for him, I leave it out.  When it's just me, I sometimes throw it in.

Pizza snack - When I was in Elementary and High School they used to serve these "pizzas" that were basically Sloppy Joe's on a bun with cheese thrown on top and broiled.  We'll sometimes do this with leftovers.  It's a tasty snack.

Crock Pot Style - Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover; cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Stats
Servings: 4
Starchy Carbs: 3.85 grams/serving

My Recipe
1 pound Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
1⁄4 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1⁄4 cup Onion, diced (I use just enough to add flavor, not enough to upset my tummy)
8 ounces Tomato Sauce, can - 14 grams of carb
1⁄8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon Chili Powder
1⁄3 teaspoon Sugar - 0.35 grams of carb

Brown ground meat and thoroughly drain.
Add garlic, onions, celery, and green pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes
Add tomato sauce, sugar, chili powder and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment